City of Windsor seeks to expropriate dozens of Ambassador Bridge-owned properties in west end

financesc
By
7 Min Read


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 4 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The City of Windsor has begun the process of expropriating 45 derelict or vacant properties in the Sandwich Town area — and all of them belong to the company behind the Ambassador Bridge.

Mayor Drew Dilkens and other council members made the announcement on Thursday on Indian Road near the bridge, standing alongside multiple boarded-up houses that had been allowed to fall into disrepair decades ago.

A dead raccoon needed to be removed from a yard before the announcement began.

“This is what we are fighting for here,” Dilkens said. “To west end residents, hang on just a little bit longer. We will not give up.”

During the announcement, Dilkens waved away hornets that had descended from a nest nearby.

A mayor and councillors standing nearby houses.
Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens and city council members announce the city’s plans to expropriate 45 derelict or vacant properties in west Windsor. (Chris Ensing/CBC)

City council unanimously made the decision behind closed doors in July. Notices were served to property owners on Monday, the municipality said.

According to information obtained by CBC Windsor under the Freedom of Information Act, each of the 45 properties on the expropriation list is owned by the Canadian Transit Company (CTC) — who control the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge — or a company trustee.

Dilkens would not provide details on how much the expropriations will cost the City of Windsor, or what deals have been made to embark on the process.

“I’ll let the property owners talk about it. But, you know, we think it’s fair,” Dilkens said.

WATCH | Windsor seeks to expropriate boarded up, vacant west end properties:

Windsor seeks to expropriate boarded up, vacant, west end properties

The City of Windsor has begun the process of expropriating 45 derelict or vacant properties in the Sandwich Town area — and all of them belong to the company behind the Ambassador Bridge.

The Canadian Transit Company responded to the city’s announcement by saying the expropriations “will only result in unnecessary conflict, delay and taxpayer expense.”

According to the CTC, the company has been willing for years to demolish the structures on its lots at its own cost — in exchange for city-owned portions of roadway necessary for the Ambassador Bridge plaza expansion project.

The CTC said the municipality is “well aware” of this proposed transaction.

“Now the city appears to be deciding that it would rather litigate than negotiate, a decision that could cost taxpayers millions of dollars,” the company said.

In the city’s announcement, it said derelict homes in the west end have been a problem for many years, and the issue “has created adverse impacts on the Windsor community in general and Olde Sandwich Towne in particular.”

The city’s chief building official has ordered emergency demolition of houses on several occasions — including in July, when 17 residences were identified as “significant community safety hazards.”

A boarded-up house.
A derelict house at 3329 Edison St. The City of Windsor is seeking to expropriate this property. (Pratyush Dayal/CBC)

But the Canadian Transit Company said Windsor leaders have consistently rejected demolition requests and “used the presence of boarded-up houses to demonize CTC.”

According to the company, past decisions by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice point to the City of Windsor’s bylaws as the only obstacle to demolition.

The company said the city has been “unwilling to meet [us] in 2026.”

“CTC is ready, willing and able to demolish any remaining vacant houses and complete the transaction with the city, saving everyone time and money, and finally putting an end to the saga of the vacant houses in Sandwich,” the company stated.

A derelict house.
A derelict house at 3311 Edison St. in west Windsor. A sign on the door by the Ambassador Bridge company calls for the city to allow demolition. (Pratyush Dayal/CBC)

Without naming the Canadian Transit Company specifically, Dilkens told reporters that “some of the owners wish to just create blight and buy up more properties next door … That’s called block-busting, and that’s exactly what’s happened here.”

“Now is the time where this is over. This is where city council says, ‘We are rebuilding the west end. We are getting control of the residential properties that have been boarded-up.'”

Ward 2 Coun. Frazier Fathers agreed with the mayor that “the time to act is now.”

“We’ve waited long enough to move forward, in my opinion,” Fathers said. “This isn’t the end of the process, though.”

A man gesturing at derelict houses.
Windsor’s Ward 2 Coun. Frazier Fathers. (Chris Ensing/CBC)

Neither Dilkens nor Fathers would estimate how long it will take for the expropriations to occur.

Dilkens said property owners have 30 days after being served notice to ask for a hearing with the Ontario Land Tribunal.

Dilkens added that council intends for the lots to return to active use. Selling to housing developers will be a priority.

Fathers said the specifics of this process will be the responsibility of the next council — which will be elected on Oct. 26.

Interactive map of west Windsor properties to be expropriated:

Disclaimer: This content has not been generated, created or edited by Finance SC. Publisher:
Source link



Source link

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *